Wednesday, October 12, 2005

The Good old days, what happened to them?

About time I added some other stuff to the ol' blog I think. So much for starting it I never quite get the time or the inspiration to add anything to it since I started.

Somehow I never achieve my aim of simplifying my life and getting down to doing things I want to, or anything related to that, which has still really to be my ultimate goal. There's always something lurking, which puts a spanner in it. As a social observation, there's always pressure to make more money now, to buy more things and to do more with these things, because you're expected to conform to society, but are we really better off chasing our tails like this?

Something's changed in the western world, certainly in the UK at least. The rich seem to be getting richer and more protective of their lot, the poor consequently appear to be getting poorer and more desperate, because they can see the rich getting richer. Where does that leave anyone who wants to stay with a simpler life? You're stuck, because you can't achieve that simpler life unless you seem to have enough money to buy a place somewhere that provides a chance of the so-called idyllic simple life. But you can't achieve that unless you stick with the rat race till you're to far drawn to escape it, or just bloody lucky or born with it or something.

I keep thinking back to the seventies and eighties. OK admittedly, I was still at school then, but even my mum and dad seemed to have a much simpler lifestyle then. They were not rich by any standards, but comfortably placed, with good intentions to make the most of things both then and in the future and striving to improve their lot whenever they could, both for themselves and us kids. They always thought of the future whenever doing something important, and the older I get the more I'm starting to realise their true intentions. They were always trying to improve the lot of the family whenever they could, even if it meant doing without for a wee while to help secure a better future. I've never really done anything to recognise that and I feel I need to do something that acknowledges this, if only to show I'm finally starting to realise what its really all been about over the years. Its no wonder they don't appear to be as supportive as I sometimes think they should, they've probably gone through the experience themselves over the years and just see me doing the same wrong things.

I can't explain why I have this thought running through my head, but it's really something that I need to address sometime. I think I've worked hard since I left school, but I'm beginning to feel I've wasted so much as well. I dearly hope its not to late now even to make amends and try to pick up where I went wrong and to show that I can do the same, the right things at the right time etc.

If I could start again I may do things differently, though it's to late for that. Maybe its time to start sorting things rather than hide from them. Time to get a better way of doing thinks and to stop doing stupid mistakes that don't achieve anything.

I'm getting married to Paula on Saturday the 22nd of October. I should be looking forward to it, but I'm also dreading it, because I don't know if everyone really thinks we're ready for such a change in our life. It's not that I'm thinking it's the wrong thing to do, I'm not. It’s the biggest thing I've ever done and we really want to do it. I just wish someone would say it was the right thing, because I'm so scared some idiot will pop up afterwards and say we shouldn't have done it.

Oh well here goes nothing as they say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home