Friday, July 06, 2007

The Inner Cat in me!

I suspect I was a cat in a former life. Monday evening I was walking home, just got to the ground floor of the flats and found a small bird lying on the ground suffering greatly. Knowing the Herring gulls around and the like, plus all the drunken arses about in the evening from the pubs I decided to take it in and see if we could do anything to help it, rather than leave it at the mercy of being trodden on or eaten.
Turns out it was a female Green Finch, not a common bird in our part of the city I suspect. She was not well, not really willing to put up a fight being picked up and carried up the stairs, breathing very heavily and having trouble keeping her eyes open. We put her in a shoe box lined with a soft dish cloth, and a small towel partly covering the box top, to give her someplace quiet and soft to calm down in. We called the SSPCA, the only number we could find in the phone book. They came, and took her away, suspecting a head wound. Hope she’s OK, but I fear the had no option but to put her down, sorry little one.


To further amaze us, I was walking down to the bakers for a scone the next morning and I found a wee mouse, sitting like a quivering very small ball of fur next to a bin, small pool of blood next to it and one back leg not looking well. I came back later at lunchtime, and found it still there, cowering in shock, so I put it behind the bin gently and went back to the office for a box. I found a small box, lined it with tissue paper and went back to it, carefully put it in the box and took it back to the office and hid it for a while till I could get it home. I went home at 5pm and we went back up to the office by car via a pet shop for something to keep it in, brought it home in its cardboard box and transferred it to its new home (£12 travel house for rodents, with lining and food and water). It was much better by then than it was earlier, having had a snooze and managed to clean its leg as well, so was not in shock like it was earlier. We saw a cat near where I found it on the way back home, so I suspect the cat had had a go at it earlier. Anyway, by 8pm it was running around happy as Larry if a bit worried about where it was, so we decided it was OK to let out someplace, so back in the car we all went, down to the river Dee to a wooded area with plenty of overhanging bushes and long plants, sheds and derelict ground. We let it go and watched it find someplace to have a wash, then scurry away to find a new home through the undergrowth. We flung some of the mouse and rodent food into the bushes with it to give it something to get it going. Very small it was the wee mite, barely bigger than my thumb, so hope its doing OK.
I doubt it would have lasted long if I’d left it where it was, so I’m glad that worked OK for the little beastie. Good luck to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home